Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Learning the Importance of Moth Balls, Suede and Pinch of Salt


Melting Clocks by Salvador Dali:  Art History Guide

Time is a healer. Time is a teacher. Time makes you learn lessons. If you don't learn them , they get repeated. So I try to learn in time. I try to buy time. But it melts. Dali painted the "melting clocks". How profound!
How true were the fun proverbs in school "Life is like an ice-cream, lick it before it melts away." And its all about time. At work, you enter the "time card", you cross the maddening streets of Mumbai to reach your home in time. And time finds you behind it always. You find time for yourself on weekends, and others who have time for you. Time is money in this buzzing city and elsewhere. "You don't have time for me/us/them."
When I escape this city, I have to catch my flights in time. And there was a time, when I'd book trains and buses, but now times have changed. Time has again become money. I buy more time, to spend it elsewhere. I save time. I do 3 things at once.It's been a while, since I wrote here, time has melted away. Time has made me understand that my parents worked so hard all this while...I learnt why small things matter and coagulate into bigger ones.. issues/problems/crises...all different manifestations of change with time.
Well now, It's time to sleep and then wake up. In between is when I'd rule my world. Suddenly, I had so much of it at once that I didn't know how best to utilize it. I shared it, but they wanted more of my time. I tried to earn time by buying appliances, gadgets and fast food. I am still trying to think about the lost time and how many times I have been asked how well I manage it!
Well, do we have a choice? Whoever we are, we share 24 hour day, and that's all we have. Well, we don't know how long we will live...we just have no time. Just one life. Max it. Live it,learn. Because time melts. Times' square, and all we have are pieces.

1 comment:

Venky said...

very well written! loved the piece...